Wednesday, August 13, 2014

A WEEK IN POLAND: Warsaw, Krakow, Gdansk

Hello everyone!  First off I would just like to apologize for not posting for a while. I've been really really busy and haven't gotten any time to catch up with things. On July 21st I left for Europe for three weeks. Right now I'm in the Paris airport waiting on a flight to Venice, but I wanted to kind of guide you through my time in Poland.  Unfortunately they are from my phone because we didn't bring the camera cord, but I promise real pictures when I get back.

Warsaw
Warsaw is the centre of Poland, along with the most populated area.  It is located in the centre of the country.  While it has a convenient central location, it isn't the prettiest city in the country.  It's not ugly, but just looks like most other European "big cities."  There's not much to do, so we only spent 3 days there.





Recommended: Willanow Palace (beautiful castle about 20 mins outside of the main area)

Really stunning top-notch hotel.  We got breakfast included but I'm not sure if it's included in all room rates.  I can honestly say this was one of the best hotel experiences I've ever had, from the super helpful concierge that went to the ends of the earth to find my phone when I lost it, to the really cozy-chic rooms that made you feel right at home.

Krakow
Gorgeous city, the old town square is absolutely beautiful!  Lots to do here, I would say you need 3-4 days to enjoy it all.  Outside of the city is Aushwitz (Concentration camp from World War II) and the Wielicka Salt Mine.  




Recommended: Wawel Royal Castle (where the polish royals lived), carriage ride around old town square, Da Pietro restaurant

Nothing really special, but a nice hotel with excellent service and clean rooms.  Sheraton kind of has a "broad spectrum" in terms of hotel quality, but I would say this one was on the nicer side.  They also had a really nice rooftop lounge which was a bonus.

Gdansk
Located on the southern coast of the Baltic Sea, Gdansk is a city full of culture and fun!  We were there during the St. Dominic's fair, which attracts thousands of people each year.  About a 30 minute drive or 1.25 ferry ride away is Sopot, a "hidden gem" in Poland.  Sopot is a beach town housing several resorts and the longest wooden pier in Europe.  As I usually like the relaxed beach towns more than big cities, I would probably prefer to next time stay in Sopot and spend my time there.

(I have no phone pictures because I left my phone at the airport in Krakow, luckily I found it though!)

Recommended: Grycan Ice Cream (locations around the country), Lookier Café, Sopot

Pros: nice pool, really nice rooftop lounge overlooking the city and the river, new & clean hotel
Cons: service was not the best, general areas were kind of reminiscent of a doctors office waiting area, breakfast not included

No comments:

Post a Comment